There are many tests to prove your English proficiency, and the IELTS test is definitely the best among them. This is undoubtedly true, and this can be successfully proven by the number of candidates who are opting to write the test in the recent times. Though the test is quite popular, there is always one question that is very confusing for all the test takers, or I must say, most of the test takers. Which test should I take? The IELTS academic test or the IELTS general training test?
The common questions which are asked by the candidates are
1. How to select the right module but is suitable for my requirements?
2. How do I confirm whether I have chosen the right module or not?
3. How to know whether I am eligible to take a particular module or not in the IELTS test?
Observe the question carefully and you will understand that they are more or less the same. This particular dilemma always exists in the mind of candidates. So, this article here clearly explains you what are the eligibility requirements for the general training IELTS test and what makes you eligible to take test and get your desired score.
So basically, there are two forms of the test.
1. The IELTS academic test and
2. The IELTS general training test.
The division of the IELTS test in two different modules is basically because the aims of the test are different. Some people are taking the test as they think of it as a test to prove their proficiency in the English language in order to prove their mettle to settle in a foreign country.
Some others might think of it as requirement to enter into University located in a foreign country and to pursue their higher education there.The name Academic suggests that it is mainly intended to be taken by the students. However, there are reasons to take the test as well.
Let us consider the scenario of professional registration. For professions such as doctors, if any sort of registration is required, then they might have to take up the IELTS academic test instead of the regular IELTS general test which is the requirement for most of the other professions.
In view of this, the IELTS general training test is taken by those candidates who are planning to migrate an English speaking country to get some sort of professional education which would be useful for them in their profession in a foreign country.
In addition to this, the general training test also serves the purpose of migrating to another country where English is the primary mode of communication. Writing the IELTS test and getting a score of 8,7,7,7 is a prerequisite to immigrate to several countries such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc.
This score of 8,7,7,7 is often the desired score for most of the immigrants. There is a very important concept called the Canadian language benchmark which tells the level of proficiency that needs to be gained by the candidate in order to settle in a foreign country. It is generally known as the clb score. The Canadian language benchmark score is graded from 1-12. In other words, it can be said that the Canadian language benchmark score varies from clb 1 to clb 12.
There are four different parts in the test.
1. The IELTS listening test
2. The IELTS reading test – this particular test is different from academic to the general training test. Accordingly they are different formats of the test the IELTS academic reading test and general training reading test.
3. The IELTS writing test – just like the IELTS reading test IELTS writing test from academic and general training test. Academic writing test and general training writing test.
4. The IELTS speaking test.
Who are eligible to take up the general training test ?
It is very important to understand whether you can immigrate as a permanent resident to countries like Canada, Australia, New Zealand or not.
Do we need to know about this? Yes you definitely have to know about this. If you choose the incorrect module which is not able to fulfill your immigration requirements, then surely you’re wasting your time. Let us get a better clarity on this concept by understanding and analysing a few scenarios.
1. If you are a student and you want to pursue your higher education in an English speaking country, then you should consider taking the IELTS academic test.
2. If you are married and you wish to migrate to an English speaking country to work there, then the required variant of the IELTS test is the IELTS general training test.
3. If you are single/ married, and you are planning to take up a short term course and work at the same time, then the IELTS general training test would be suitable for you. You may have to check and opt for the correct module by referring to various sources.
4. Let us imagine that you are working for a firm in an English speaking country on a working holiday visa. If the management team of your organization asks you to to take the IELTS test to prove your English ability, then you should take the IELTS academic test.
The reliability of the information that you get should be verified clearly and carefully.
1. You may talk to a consultant or someone who is well aware of the whole immigration process. They would guide you properly.
2. If you have a friend or a relative who is a permanent resident and is willing to help you with the immigration process, then that is a good idea as well.
3. If you are still in the planning phase and looking for opinions from other prospective immigrants, then browse for the related information on various websites. There are a lot of useful resources available on the internet today. As all of us would surely have a smartphone, this is the easiest way to gather all the details.
As far as the IELTS test is concerned, it is the most important factor in the entire process. Hence, start following the steps from today for a better tomorrow!